Sunday, February 12, 2012

Red Velvet

{Red Velvet cupcake}

The events of this weekend haven’t really gotten me in the mood for Valentine’s Day. Nothing says I love you like being vomited on. Actually, most things say it better.

Violet, still under the weather, was unable to attend her (my) beloved dance class today. We also had to cancel dinner plans that we had all been looking forward to. I felt really bad for sweet Vi so I decided to bust out a few holiday related activities. Violet’s favourite activity by far was baking red velvet cupcakes. 

I told you I was a cupcake girl and now I will show you.

According to Martha Stewart the origins of the red velvet cake are disputed. Apparently the red color used to be achieved through a chemical reaction that takes place between the cocoa and a vinegar-baking soda mixture. I used all those things, but I think it was the healthy dose of food coloring that put these beauties over the top.

The uncooked batter looked a little unnatural, kind of like ketchup actually, but once they were baked the cupcakes seemed to relax into a more edible hue.  

{uncooked batter - kind of weird}

{baked - now that is better}



As we were baking Violet, the sous chef, said to me, “You be the daughter and I will be the mother.”

“Okay,” I played along.

“Daughter, don’t eat the batter, it is full of rotten eggs.” 

“The eggs aren't rotten sweetie, they are raw” I explained.

“I am not sweetie. I am mum.”

End of conversation.

The cupcakes are really good. Martha knows her stuff. The cream cheese icing balances out the uber-sweetness of the cupcake itself. I normally only associated cream cheese icing with carrot cake - no need for vegetables here (although if you are the sort who opposes mixing red food colouring and children I heard you can add beet juice in lieu of the dye). 

I made these cupcakes for Violet's first birthday; I can't believe she will be three in a couple of weeks. I asked her if she wanted them again for her birthday party. I thought it would be sweet. Maybe red velvet cupcakes could be our thing. She declined. Not enough chocolate, clearly.



{delish!}


xo

You can find the recipe for these cupcakes here: http://www.marthastewart.com/317517/red-velvet-cupcakes


No comments:

Post a Comment