Friday, February 10, 2012

granola crunch

{there is nothing quite like fresh bread}
I never fancied myself the kind of gal who would make her own bread. I'm more of a cupcake girl I think. I thought that people who made their own bread were the same type of people who made yogurt from homemade cultures and used cloth diapers. Homemade yogurt and cloth diapers are awesome; they are just way too much work for someone like me. Or so I thought.

Over the Christmas holiday I visited a dear friend who was staying with her family in the valley. Her mother sent me home with some of the most delicious brown bread I have ever had. Now, before my own mother disowns me, I want to point out that I said *some of the most delicious* not most delicious brown bread I have ever had. I immediately asked for the recipe. My carbohydrate induced euphoria must have made me forget about my misgivings about bread making.

A few weeks later a hand written recipe arrived in the mail. I decided to give it a try. What the heck. A girl can only eat so many cupcakes...

I have been converted. Making bread is amazing and it is not that hard. My family can't get enough of it and I love knowing exactly what they are eating (in a caring not controlling way of course).

Jeff is out bidding my brother a final adieu Halifax style (read: at the pub) so I decided to try my luck with bread making a second time. I was afraid that last time was beginners luck and never again would I reach such culinary heights.  My first batch was so good I almost wanted to retire as a bread maker while I was at the top of my game. But the requests for more brown bread kept rolling in (okay, all the requests were from Jeff, but he can be very persistent).

Guess what? The bread worked again.

It is official: I, Emily Pond, make my own bread.

If I write a post about using a diva cup you'll know I've truly gone to the dark side. Stage an intervention please.

xo

{Ellen's oatmeal brown bread}

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Katrina - not too bad for a second try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on the bread Emily! I haven't had your mom's brown bread but I can say that Ellen's is the best I've had/made. YUMMY! (also, amazing that she sent you a hand written recipe in the mail!)I'm enjoying your entries, can't wait to see what you're cooking up next and what else Vi has to say!!! xxo

    ReplyDelete