Monday, April 16, 2012

hey fish taco!

{and this is the best of the bunch...}

Some people are photogenic, others are not. Similarly, some foods look good captured on film, others do not. Unfortunately fish tacos fall into the latter category. Try as I might I could not get an appealing picture of tonight's dinner. You'll just have to trust me that these fish tacos were delicious.

We eat haddock almost every week. Unlike my mum, who makes a mean pan-fried haddock, I normally prepare it pretty simply, and I often serve it with sweet potato fries and a big salad. It is funny how we fall into routines like that huh? When I think about it, those things don't necessarily even go the best together, but I must have done it once and then just gone on autopilot from there! Jeff likes to mix it up and so we decided to try the fish taco recipe you see pictured above (it tastes better than it looks I swear!)

I've had a thing for fish tacos for a while now. My friend Jayme makes a mean one, she attributes this talent to her time spent in the Turks & Caicos, but I know better, her culinary prowess is inherited from her equally talented mother! Anyway, Jayme introduced me to fish tacos and I haven't looked back.

The recipe we've been using calls for tilapia, but we've always use haddock (with success). I serve it with our favourite wasabi guacamole and a little sour cream. Just like most tacos, the opportunities are endless, they can easily be a vehicle to use up all your leftover herbs and even fruit.

You'll have to trust me on this one, at least until I take a photography course or get a new camera or stop working and can take pictures with natural light: these tacos are delicious. Try them!


Kate's Fish Tacos

These work well with leftover fish pieces too.
  - two tilapia fillets
  -  1/4 C red onion slivers
  -  1/4 C thinly sliced kale
  -  1/4 C canned diced tomatoes, drained
  -  2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
  -  2 tsp olive oil
  -  2 tsp lime juice
  -  1/8 tsp cumin
  -  1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
  -  2 9-inch whole-wheat tortillas, warmed


  Directions


  1.  Cook the tilapia with a little oil on med-low heat in a frying pan.
  Set aside.
  2. Cook the onions until slightly soft, add sliced kale until kale is


  soft too. Add tomatoes and stir until the mixture is warmed through.
  3. Toss tilapia (it will crumble into the mixture when tossed)and kale


  mixture with the feta, oil, lime juice, cumin, pepper flakes, and salt
  to taste.
  4. Spoon onto the tortillas, fold in half, and secure with toothpicks.









xo
Em
{some people really are more photogenic than others...***}
***Used with permission of husband. I love this blog, but I wouldn't compromise my marriage for content!!

No comments:

Post a Comment