Monday, April 23, 2012

mornings made easier

{banana chocolate chip}
Violet  woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. She cried as soon as she saw me and things only got worse when I asked her what she wanted for breakfast. She sat on my knee while I ate breakfast and had my coffee, she sobbed into my shoulder telling me all about how she had a "terrible sleep". For some reason the idea of rolling over and catching a few more z's didn't seem to appeal to her. I asked her what would make her feel better and she said, "I really want to make muffins mummy".

How could I say no to that?

Vi was up a little earlier than usual so we actually had time to bake before I went to work. Since time was still somewhat of an issue, Violet did a lot of observing. This role displeased her. She is more interested in being sous-chef than observer, but before 7:00 am on a weekday, she knew not to push her luck. I have never mashed bananas so quickly.

We had a few very ripe bananas in the pantry so banana chocolate chip muffins were an obvious choice. It didn't hurt that they are Jeff's favourite. I like that banana chocolate chip muffins don't pretend to be healthy. Unlike a morning glory or blueberry muffin that masquerade as a (somewhat) healthy choice, banana chocolate chips are in your face with their decadence. They are full of chocolate for goodness sake. They are proud to be full of white flour and white sugar, it is almost as though they are proclaiming, "I'm half a step away from being a cupcake, and I am proud".


Honesty in a muffin, you have to love that. Baking before work, I can take or leave it.

 xo

Em

The muffins we made can be found here, I used greek yogurt instead of buttermilk (only because I had it on hand): http://www.cbc.ca/bestrecipes/2011/10/banana-chocolate-chip-muffins.html

{snack time!}



No comments:

Post a Comment