Thursday, May 10, 2012

rain rain go away


{Oh, I'm a little teapot short and stout}

{here is my handle, here is my spout}

{when I get all steamed up hear me shout, tip me over and pour me out!}

It has been a rainy week so far and it always surprises me just how quickly we can go shack-whacky. I normally take Violet up the street to the playground after supper to run out any lingering energy before bed. When this routine is removed from the equation we are left with an antsy little girl with energy to spare.

Enter the nursery rhyme.

My parent's recently gave us a pile of books that belonged to me when I was little. Among them was a nursery rhyme anthology. One night about a month ago I picked the book up, I didn't think Violet would like as much as the books about dancing she has been into lately. I was wrong. She absolutely loves the simple rhymes. It is so cute hearing her repeat them, and kind of impressive that she has so many memorized. 

A few of the nursery rhymes are downright offensive (e.g., Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater keeps his wife in a pumpkin shell), while others are just bizarre (why would a butcher, a baker and candlestick maker be in the tub together?), but I think the lessons Violet learns about language and how it works make them worth reading nonetheless. 

So after supper last night, instead of going to the park, Violet ran around our apartment squealing nursery rhymes. I sure do hope the sun comes back soon.

xo

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment