Wednesday, June 27, 2012

time away

{soaking in the sun while it lasts}

There are times when I wish I could pack my things and head to a hotel, just for a night of course. I daydream about watching reality tv in bed, drinking diet coke out of a can with a bag of fresh twizzlers on my lap, and having the latest Vogue within reach. I also dream about having time to do my hair in the morning and not looking at the clock before 7:00 am. I am a morning person, but morning begins at 7:00, before that it is still nighttime! (Violet didn't get that memo.)

It is ironic, given my daydreams about mini-escapes to hotels, that when I was away for work earlier this week I missed my sweet little family so much. I really never thought I would feel that way. Don't get me wrong, I love love love my family, but come on, I was gone for one night. But, I really did miss them.

My hotel room was freezing and I couldn't figure out how to turn off the AC. Jeff would have known what to do. I also had to sleep with my bedside lamp on -- I couldn't turn it off. Jeff would have been able to do that too. (If you are thinking so would the rest of society, shame on you.) Instead of enjoying my big bed it felt empty and cold. Breakfast was so uneventful without Violet's sticky fingers on my chair, on my work clothes and through my hair. I missed my morning hug from her most of all. She still smells like a baby in the morning, her hair is damp and her cheeks are rosy.

Now that I have been home for 24 hours, daydreams about a night in a hotel have resumed, but I did take an extra deep inhale as I hugged Violet this morning. I wouldn't trade that for anything, not even sleep.

xo

Em


{tickle-ee and tickler} 

No comments:

Post a Comment