Friday, September 21, 2012

pumpkin pancakes with apple compote for fall

{I'm going to open an IHOP}

Remember how I promised there would be no more pancake related posts? I don't know why I am so monomaniacal jazzed about pancakes these days, but it appears that I am. I hate meal planning on weeks when we miss the market so breakfast-for-supper was an obvious, easy addition to our menu. My friend Andrea is always making pumpkin pancakes and they look so good. I tried these on Wednesday night and since today is the first day of fall I thought it was a perfect time to share them with you.

Happy first day of fall! Don't drown on you way to work Haligonians. It is officially monsoon season.

I searched online for "healthy pumpkin pancakes" and I came across a recipe that had been modified from Heidi Swanson's blog 101 Cookbooks (an awesome source for heathy and delicious fare).

The maple apple compote adds just the right amount of sweetness to the dense, pumpkiny pancake. I don't bake with a lot of whole wheat flour so maybe that is why I could really taste the difference. These pancakes each weighted three times what my normal light and fluffy guys do. They are good, but they taste healthy.

I'd make these again, but maybe only use half the whole wheat flour. Any other ways to lighten them up?

Also, I have half a can of pumpkin puree left. Anyone have a good pumpkin loaf or muffin recipe? Maybe something healthy but that couldn't be used for weight training ;)

xo

Em

Get the recipe for these perfect for fall pancakes here: http://www.honeyandjam.com/2011/10/whole-grain-pumpkin-pancakes-with-apple.html





No comments:

Post a Comment