Monday, June 3, 2013

extra sparkle



I don't normally use this blog as a forum to gush about my daughter (HA!), but this weekend my heart almost exploded with pride. One of the best things about being a mum is that you really do believe that your child is extra special. You know all kids are special, but you secretly know your kid is just a titch extra special.

If you haven't already guessed, Violet's dance recital was this weekend. As I watched her prance and skip across the stage I truly believed her moves were just a little more graceful and that her jumps were just a little bit higher than the rest of the kids in her class. I actually wondered to myself, can other people see the extra sparkle in my girl or is it just me? My husband, parents and brother confirmed it wasn't just me -- she is in fact extra sparkly. (I couldn't have chosen a more unbiased sample on which to test my hypothesis, I know).

The truth is, all the tiny dancers were just perfect. When you are three or four, all you have to do is show up to be perfect. Showing up in a tulle and satin unicorn costume helps too. Each of the kids went on stage, danced their little hearts out and almost cried when the audience erupted in clapping. (In Violet's own words, "It was totally shocking. Shocking is a lot like surprised." -- someone has been ready a lot of Fancy Nancy lately!) I'm not sure you recall last year's recital. My blood pressure still skyrockets when I think about it and that is saying something. (My blood pressure is normally so low it doesn't register! In fact, I calmly watched myself flat line the last time I was hooked up to a monitor.)

Vi's class danced to the cutest song Always be a Unicorn. It makes me tear up (#getagrip). The chorus goes, "Always be yourself unless you can be a unicorn, then always be a unicorn." Such a lovely little message for kiddos and grown ups alike. In fact, I might just make that my motto this week.

xo

Em

Here is Lady Vi (covered in her supper and dirt from our backyard and the park) practicing her best moves:

















No comments:

Post a Comment