Tuesday, September 24, 2013

paleo chocolate chip cookies


I'm of two minds when it comes to healthy cookies. In the past I've always thought, if you are going to have a treat, have a treat. Healthy cookies? What's the point? Eat more veggies, fewer cookies, for sure, but when you indulge, really indulge. Lately, however, I've been inspired by some of my friends and the healthy treats they make for their families. Violet and Jeff both love a small, sweet treat after supper and while we've tried to steer clear of nightly dessert, we probably indulge at least a few times a week. We don't have lots of processed sweets in the house, but maybe once every couple of weeks I'll make an apple crisp or a batch of cookies. In the summer we gravitate towards ice-cream, but now that it is officially fall I love both the smell and warmth of somethin' in the oven.

Which brings me to paleo chocolate chip cookies. I don't know much about the paleo diet. The name reminds me of Ross from Friends, that's all I got. What I do know is that these cookies have no flour, no refined sugar and no dairy. I love them because I feel like I am feeding my family a handful of trail-mix as a treat, as opposed to a cookie.

The recipe I used is easy to follow, but it does require a special trip to the grocery store (unless you routinely stock your larder with almond meal and coconut oil). The cookies are really yummy, much better if stored in the fridge and they even got the Jeffrey Pond seal of approval (much harder to attain than the Violet Pond seal of approval). Jeff loves chocolate chip cookies and I had my doubts about how these would go over. I needn't have worried, because he loved them and ate them at the pace he would have eaten their butter and white flour laden equivalents (which is to say they were eaten in under 48 hours).

Now I just have to remind myself that though these cookies are healthy, the are not suitable for breakfast (opps) and more than three in a sitting is probably a little over indulgent (opps again).

Try these if you are in the mood for something sweet, but you want something a little healthier. Yum!

Find the recipe I used here: http://thebitesizedbaker.com/2013/01/23/paleo-chocolate-chip-cookies/

xo

Em











No comments:

Post a Comment