Monday, November 11, 2013

chewy molasses spice cookies


I've made these cookies before, but this time was different. My sous-chef has really been stepping it up lately. I, on the other hand, have been wrestling with my OCD tendencies because I really want to be the type of mum who lets her daughter roll out the cookies without secretly re-rolling them when she isn't looking. I admit it, I am a re-roller. A re-roller, a re-mixer, a re-scraper, a re-washer -- you name it, I do it again, the way I like it, when Violet isn't looking. 

I know this isn't healthy. I don't want Violet to think she can't do anything right. I also don't want misshaped cookies, but I suppose the former should take precedence. 

You would have been proud of me today. I let Violet shape the cookie balls and I didn't touch a thing. I let her roll them in sugar and I didn't mention that not every inch of the surface was covered. I did still choose to photograph the most uniform of the bunch wrapped in red twine, but come on, give me a few more weeks and Violet will be charge of presentation too.

Here is the recipe. It is quick and easy and via the one and only Ms. Stewart who definitely would have reshaped the balls.

xo

Em

Martha's Chewy Molasses-Spice Cookies

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  1. STEP 1
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a shallow bowl, place 1/2 cup sugar; set aside.
  2. STEP 2
    With an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining cup of sugar until combined. Beat in egg and then molasses until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in dry ingredients, just until a dough forms.
  3. STEP 3
    Pinch off and roll dough into balls, each equal to 1 tablespoon. Roll balls in reserved sugar to coat.
  4. STEP 4
    Arrange balls on baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Bake, one sheet at a time, until edges of cookies are just firm, 10 to 15 minutes (cookies can be baked two sheets at a time, but they will not crackle uniformly). Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; transfer to racks to cool completely.








2 comments:

  1. Yum, they look delicious! Cant wait to try that recipe. Vi is a sweet little baker :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nat! They are really yummy and the stay yummy all week! The recipe also makes just over three dozen so I popped a few in the freezer for any unexpected guests!

      Delete